Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Last Weeks of Life: What's It Like?

Every passing is different, and yet, there’s something universal about those final days, hours, and moments.

Most people don’t want to talk about this, and now, most by far, do not have an intimate, up-close experience with death.

I needed to know how to do this. How to be there, how to incorporate this monumental event into my being.

This is what I wrote a few weeks before my mother passed away:

I’m on this euphoric high. It’s not real, I can tell. I’m not on any drugs, but it’s that out-of-body feeling. I’m excited, hesitant and nervous about everything. Walking around feels different, like the balls of my feet are the only parts of me touching the ground. I can’t stop thinking. I need to keep moving. If I slow down everything will fly off the earth.

What will I do? How do I start? I don’t think I can handle more changes. I’m leery of what’s next. I’m thinking about the funeral, the trip to Georgia. I see the cemetery, the gravesite, the mound of orange dirt, the chairs, and the green tent. I see me, shaking hands, a long line of people streaming out in front of me.

I’ve been in this cocoon for so long, these walls are so familiar. I leap ahead to her actual death. Me, there, next to her—will she wake up? Say something? Scream? Will she grab me? Will she just fade away, not saying anything?

During those last days, I kept one book nearby: How We Die by Dr. Nuland. It doesn’t sound like a happy book, and maybe it’s not, but when you need this information, you really need it.
This book became my practical template for what I was about to face. He writes of how we view death in our modern culture. We have to die from a disease now, not old age or because it’s our time. They used to call it “a natural death,” or he died from “complications.”

We’re into blame nowadays.
We think we have to pin everything on something, but life (and death) doesn’t cooperate. It’s complex, ambiguous, and all piled on top of each other like a plate of food from a church homecoming dinner. Forget trying to differentiate the ambrosia from the sweet potato casserole.

As my mother neared the end of her life, I was too tired to blame--nothing like three years of front-line caregiving to wear a person completely out. I read Dr. Nuland’s words about the end of Alzheimer’s. So much of it, I had already experienced. It was as though he were my fortune telling and my trusting palm laid open on the table.

I took deep breath after deep breath wondering how much longer. When someone’s 92, no long eating, barely swallowing, and even if you resuscitate them, what would you bring them back to? She’d still have Alzheimer’s; her body would still be wracked with the end stages of Parkinson’s. No feeding tube or shocking of her heart would change those facts.

Mother’s actual death took about three weeks.
Three of the longest weeks of my life.

Mother was in a coma and couldn’t be aroused without great effort, and then, only to look at me blurry with a backdrop of panic.
After saying my good-byes and making sure that each family member had that opportunity as well, and after I called the Chaplin, and say the Psalms, I stopped trying to rouse her.
I had to do all those things—my checklist. I made as many funeral arrangements as possible, and then it was time to be quiet. Hospice nurses came a few times to take her vitals, but I sent the bathers away.

It was just my mother and me most days.
I let my family go on with their lives.
Ironically, it rained for two straight weeks.
Good ole' Florida rain. Buckets.

I chose against a feeding tube.

This is a family and personal choice, and I don’t think I could have stuck to my decision if hospice had not assured me that this is humane, and that allowing the body to naturally shut down is a valid choice.

I watched every twitch, was she in pain? Not that I could tell.
I bathed her face and hands, swabbed the inside of her mouth with Vaseline. I kept her room quiet, cleaned and decluttered. We were in death-mode, and as unappealing as that sounds, it felt like the right thing to do.

I felt this incredible barometric pressure. No relief. I’d never paced so much in my life. Was I making the right decisions? Should I call 911 and scream, “Save her!” Or do I sit here, quiet, calm, and allow this to happen?

I chose to allow and the pressure lifted.

I found my own sense of closure.
I needed this time.
I needed this low pressure, this finishing of duties, this still and quiet room.
This was the end of a life, and that is profound and sacred.

I wrote hourly.
Stroked her hair, sat beside her, and waited.

~Carol D. O'Dell
Author of Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir,
available on Amazon and in most bookstores

Kunati Publishing

1 comment:

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Carol,

I have just finished responding to the comments on my post about the Baby Boomers in America, and as I'm wont to do, visit the sites of those who posted a comment.

There are two, perhaps three similarities we have: I am a Gemini too, a baby boomer, and my Mother died of Alzheimers 2 years ago. She was 89.

Hers had the added complication of Diabetes. In her final 3 months, she didn't recall any of us, regardless of how further back in time we went. At the final week of her life, she could still sit up and talk. But she was talking in a dialect she knew when she was probably 3 or 5 years old. She would also sing songs in this dialect.

My elder sister , like you, took my mom to live with her when she was still about 80% lucid.We were only about a week in the hospital, enough time to prepare funeral arrangement details. All the main things my sister already did beforehand from the monthly support my brothers and 2 other sisters gave.

I'm sorry for your loss. I have a lot to be thankful to my mother for and no amount of payback feels enough. She couldn't even recall what I was thanking her for nor who I was. --Durano, done!